Sunday, October 9, 2011

Madelyn

Madelyn was born with a sweet and calm disposition. She has always been a good sleeper since she was a tiny baby. Sometimes, when she got older, and was transitioning from taking a nap during the day to not taking a nap she would fall asleep at the dinner table. She is usually the first person asleep and loves to wake up early in the morning and get going.

Madelyn loves skirts, sweet scented lotion and anything girly. She is very feminine in her likes and fashion. She is a trend watcher and always knows what the latest in electronic devices, clothing and hairstyles are. She is one of the funnest people to go shopping with. She especially loves shoes. Sometimes I have to talk her out of wearing her platform sandles on walks to the park - you know tennis shoes just aren't as pretty. Just now as I was looking through pictures of her and clicking through them she said "wait mom, go back, what shoes was I wearing in that picture?" When I showed her..."oh, those were so cute, why did we have to give them away?" Me: "we threw them away because they fell apart." Madelyn: "oh *sigh* they were so cute." She loves growing up and looks forward to doing anything grown up. She asks me all the time "how old do I need to be to wear makeup? get high heels?" and so on.

(Getting the skirt that Grandma T. made for Madelyn for her Birthday)

Madelyn loves to be in the kitchen baking or helping with dinner. She is the tortilla queen in our house. Awhile back I needed to feed Matthew right in the middle of cooking tortillas. I asked Madelyn to flip over the ones on the griddle and then take them off when they were done. I told her she could turn off the griddle after that and I would come finish the rest when I was done. When I came back I found that she had finished rolling out and cooking the rest of the dough. They were cooked to perfection and tasted delicious.
(Madelyn's yummy apple tart)

Madelyn is a very social person. She is usually the first one to ask me if her and her sisters can go play with their friends. Lately she has been calling her cousin Mallory on the phone a lot. They sometimes play "sounds" from things around their own houses and then ask the other person to guess what it was. They also like to each look at their world globe and find out if a certain country is the same color on both. Madelyn has always loved doing things with her sisters and brother. She hardly ever wants to play by herself.
I love you Madelyn! You have such a tender heart and feel empathy for anyone who may be sad. You are very protective of your younger sister and brother. A few weeks ago Dad jokingly put a post-it note on the back of Matt with "kick me" written on it. While Mom and Dad laughed about it you were appalled and quickly made up some notes with "kiss me" "hug me" "feed me" "love me" "never kick me" and posted them in a long line down Matt's back.
I love hearing your devotionals you prepare each week in school. A lot of your thoughts are spoken from your heart and bring a good spirit into our home. You have a lot of wisdom that you share.

You are a very responsible person. You like to have your things organized and kept in purses, bags or boxes. Anytime you are given an assignment in Activity Days you complete it quickly and remember to bring it back. You love getting jobs done quickly so you can get on to the playing.

You are a darling, beautiful, intelligent girl and I'm so glad you are my daughter!

2 comments:

Tasha L. said...

Ahren,
I'm so glad you're doing this with each of your kids. I'm learning something new about each of them! We sure miss you all.

Madelyn, we are so happy that we get to be related to you. Mallory is lucky to have such a wonderful "twin" cousin! We miss you, & love you lots!
Bob & Tasha & kiddos

Gaylene and Emil said...

Tasha always says just what I want to say...so, yes, thank you for doing this.

Madelyn, you're just too cool for words! We sure love you