Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chivalry

Last Saturday we met two of the Knights of Veritas. These knights took us back to the year 1300 a.d. and taught us real fencing techniques vs. Hollywood style sword fighting. We learned about Johannes Liechtenauer, a fencing master who wrote one of the most influential fencing manuals of his time, a manual from which real knights studied. We now know what the "plow", "roof", "ox" and "fool" stances look like in sword fighting. We were given the German names for these stances, but alas, those I have already forgotten. 
And of course we learned about the code of chivalry for Knights. 
We can safely say that chivalry is not dead.


Now the question we have for you is: How much does a Longsword weigh?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! My boys would be so excited to see something like this!

Tasha L. said...

Wow! That is neat. I think I'll have to google the answer to the longsword question. :)

Tara said...

So do you want to know how much he weighs in his whole get up? I'm guessing 300lbs. That looks heavy. All your other posts were so fun. I love summer. That Matthew is such a handsome fellow. I love the one of him digging in the dirt. So classic.